Sunday 7 February 2010

Green Finches

We had a pair of Green Finches visit today and a Long Tailed Tit but didn't manage a photo of him. The feeder has been so busy, I do love the expression on the Great Tits face in the photo below. Who would want to mess with him! The Woodpeckers were out together again today but I kept missing that photo each time. I did notice on this shot though that the Woodie has been busy pecking away at the branch for grubs. Oh I saw a Mistle Thrush too today but he was in the field just the other side of the garden fence so doesn't officially count. I noticed the lawn was covered in leaves this morning, it is reminiscent of Autumn. I wonder where they have all appeared from now? I spotted 'Cheeky' the stray appearing from the bush today licking his lips. I hope he not been doing anything he shouldn't. The Nuthatches are starting to get their beautiful courting coats.

1 comment:

  1. My theory for the 'autumn leaves' is that they probably come from old nests - it's that time where the annual 'clear out' commences in readiness for spring. It's almost like recycling as someones discarded winter nest material might be just perfect for someones brand new spring nest.
    A lot of animals have winter boltholes to seek shelter in when the weather is bad and as we've had a particularly bad winter and the wildlife still have the ability to see it coming (which is something we humans have lost the ability to do) then that probably accounts for all the leaves, which means it pays to follow nature... if you see them gathering more stuff than would be required for a nest, then it's time to contemplate the weather!

    ReplyDelete