Sunday 31 January 2010

Icy and Cold

Well the sky's been very dark today and the snow is still falling. Not as thick as the other week but still very icy and cold. I saw a Sparrow Hawk this morning almost grab a Blue Tit from the suet square. He was so close. The birds didn't see him coming as there was no warning calls. But after he left, albeit empty handed, they were very very nervous for the rest of the day. This pair of Chaffinches were squabbling over the treats I'd put out on the table.This unusual looking Black Bird turned up today. He's either just recovering from a bad case of mites, which means this could be the bird that visited us back on June 5th last year (I've compared photo's closely and I think it is). Or he may have just started with symptoms but I think I heard somewhere that the mites that cause this problem don't like the cold weather so the first idea is probably more likely.The Blue Tits where really enjoying the peanuts I put out. I was trying to get some photo's of a Jay in flight but all I managed was the Blue Tit with a peanut. The Jays were just too quick and I ended up with lots of blurry flight shots. I did get this one though of him enjoying a monkey nut. Oh yes, forget to mention this yesterday. The Chaffinch with no legs has been named 'IAN' apparently after a singer of the same name who's also got bad legs. Before my time I think. He's becoming quite a celebrity now with people always asking me how he's doing and how he manages. Well I say he has deformed legs but he just hasn't got legs! All he has is one foot which comes straight out from his belly. I think having this one foot is what has meant he's survived. As he can hold things and balance just can't walk.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Ian looks well adapted to having one leg! He is truely amazing :)

    ReplyDelete