Sunday 22 November 2009

Redfoots' funny nose

I think it was even darker today here in Capel if that's possible. By half past two people were driving through the village with their car headlights on even and it wasn't even raining. The darkness made taking photographs very difficult again. I spotted one of the Robins flying up off the Bird bath (yes, I found it eventually) and doing a hummingbird impression, feeding off the fat balls. I tried for ages to get a photo but the light was so bad I had to use a very slow shutter speed which meant the Robin virtually disappeared as she was moving so fast. If you look closely you can see one of her feet on the edge of the bird bath and some flapping wings just above. Either that or I have a phantom Robin ghost arghhhh hehheee
Redfoot turned up today and I found out he is a she. She's been visiting for such a long time now and this is the first opportunity I've had to see what sex she is. She was loving the grapes I put out. She then went up to eat the peanuts but within seconds was scared off by something and fell head first off the feeder banging her face straight in the ground. Luckily its very muddy and soft there and the worst she suffered was a very funny muddy nose. There were three male Blackbirds in the garden today, chasing one another. I tried to get photo's of all three so I could compare them and maybe name them if I could find something distinctive but they wouldn't stay still long enough and I couldn't work out who I'd photographed and who I hadn't. I got so muddled up I had to give up in the end.My suet feeder challenge hasn't changed either. The most today was 8 again and still only managed 3 different species at once. Maybe I set the bar too high.
Oh I forgot to mention all the thunder storms we have had during the last few days. We've had 3 in the last 4 days. Last nights was amazing. The thunder literally shook the house in the early hours. Oh I just remembered what it was that scared Redfoot this afternoon, it was a huge clap of thunder. All the birds dived into the hedge at the same time. I have to admit I've not actually been outside today in the garden as the weather was just so horrid. I must make the effort tomorrow and see of there's any new fungi or plants about. The Goldfinches were here again. Although they seem to eat none stop and then the Blue Tits step in when they are not here the Niger Seed has barely gone down in the feeder. Which is great as its not the cheapest of the bird foods but certainly now value for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment