Monday 23 November 2009

Belly's full of berries

Bernie came round today. I spotted her high on the hillside just below the tree line and watched for ages as she ran all the way down, to the garden. She then spent a good half an hour rummaging around in grass looking for the peanuts I'd scattered earlier. She didn't even bother visiting the feeder.
And I had such a variety of food on the feeder today, from some old home made fruit cake to left over noodles. I bet the birds didn't know what had hit them. The Jays even ventured onto the feeder tray to indulge in the culinary delights.
The Blackbirds preferred the natural stuff and two of the males filled their belly's from the juicy red berries at the top of the garden.
I watched a pair of Sparrow's feed on the suet today. Well he was feeding and she stood there staring at him. This lasted for about ten minutes when eventually the male took a huge mouth full of suet and fed it to her. The photo looks more like they are having a fight but honestly, he was being nice. The Niger seed feeder has now been out a full week and even though there's been something feeding on it for 5 full days it is still half full. Amazing. I've decided to name the Goldfinch 'Billy'. As in Billy No Mates. I'd always thought Goldfinches where flock birds so I thought the name was quite apt. I'll be stumped if another one turns up now though as they all look completely the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment