Friday 20 November 2009

3 out of 4

When I looked out of my kitchen window and saw this view today you wouldn't believe how excited I was. Two of my favourite British Birds feeding on the same feeder at the same time. What made it even better, although you'll have to take my word for it, just slightly lower down was a Nuthatch which is also in my top 4. So 3 out of my 4 favourite British Birds all together, all in my garden and I'm here to see it. Who needs Golden Oriels when you have Woodpeckers, Nuthatches and Goldfinches, right here. The Goldfinch was here all morning but there is no sign of a female yet. Is it me or does this one look more brightly coloured than the one on Wednesday? Could we have two males maybe? Ok, now I'm just being greedy. The feral cat is still about, the old lady next door has started feeding it. I was sort of hoping it may just be lost and someone somewhere will be looking for him. But I can't get close enough to tell what sex he is so I'm not completely convinced he's an adored family pet. I must phone the Cats Protection tomorrow, just in case. I think the birds know he's now well fed as they seem to be feeding quite happily on the lawn again. As I'm writing this, I have the last Autumn Watch on the TV. They've been talking about different bird foods and feeders etc. It then turned to the little net bags that fat balls come in. I've always left mine in the bags and then placed them in the feeder as I believed the story of limbs getting caught was more of a old wives tale but just in case as of tomorrow they'll be taken out. Today I had 8 , yes EIGHT birds on my single suet square block. I've now set myself a challenge of photographing the most birds I can on the Suet feeder at on time. 8 is a great start I reckon and probably going to be hard to beat already.

No comments:

Post a Comment