Tuesday 25 May 2010

Another New Visitor

Last night saw the arrival of TINTIN (yes we've name him already) the racing pigeon. I think he is just too exhausted to fly. I found some grey feathers on the drive so perhaps he's missing some crucial flight feathers? That would make sense. Anyway the poor thing was at risk of being killed by Cheeky the stray or even one of the foxes so he's now living quite happily in a large cat box in the spare room. Hopefully tomorrow I will hear back from the National Pigeon Association who will be able to give me the owners telephone number and details so he can go home. I remember hearing years ago that missing pigeons were no welcomed back by their breeders as they didn't make it home and not worth any money, I hope this isn't true. I'll be making thorough checks tomorrow before he's allowed to go anywhere. There's loads of crane fly in the garden a the moment, and I really don;t like them. The thought of them getting tangled in my hair arghhhhhh.
I spotted a group of flies resting on a rock this evening. They must be enjoying the heat still radiating from it. Overnight this plant which I think is a Chickweed (update: it's actually Cuckoo flower, Cardamine pratensis) had appeared on the lawn and its massive! The Blue Tit parents are still working full time feeding their babies. I saw this Blue Tit looking rather haggard on the feeder tonight, its amazing how 10 babies all at once can take it out of ya heehehehe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy. Must comment on this. We have had plenty of experience of dealing with pigeon fanciers who have lost their birds, and I would definitely not bother to contact them in future. The ones we dealt with were incredibly cheeky and all except one were not interested in claiming their birds. This one wanted us to catch the pigeon, put it in a box and take it to his friend's house many miles away! And no he would not pay for the petrol! Another one thought it was hilarious that his pigeon wanted to live in our house, and flew in every time we opened a door or window, and he said: "it's your problem". So I told him that we would shoot it (as you know we would never harm anything & do not have a gun!) and he agreed that was the best course of action, as if it returned home he would destroy it. One day to our relief our cat nearly caught it and it moved on! Never again! Be careful. Suky X

    ReplyDelete