Friday 29 January 2010

White Markings


During the pre winter moults I noticed this little Chaffinch with unusual white markings on his wings and shoulders. Back then I thought it was just because he was moulting but now its nearly spring and he has a beautiful new coat and his white markings are still very unusual and very distinctive. I have taken a photo of a normal coated Chaffinch to compare. Sorry the upper photo is a bit blurry, he just wouldn't keep still! I gave the feeder a good clean today and accidentally dropped a whole bag of peanuts in the floor. The path was wet so I thought there was no point trying to pick them all up and put them back into the bag. The birds certainly didn't mind. This Dunnock was a bit strange though. All the other Dunnock's were diving into the pile of nuts but this fellow just walked past the nuts onto the messy grass and pecked away. He must have a nut allergy ;-) Even the Black Birds were enjoying the peanuts, not a food I would usually associate with them. Look at the mess the Mole's done. I've been looking at the line he's been digging and in theory his next hills will be in next doors garden. And finally this is a mess I've done. Trying to protect the wood trim on my canoe, I thought a tarp would be the answer. But it looks a hideous eye sore in my beautiful wild garden. Maybe I should try and find a camo tarp or possibly sell the canoe as I don't think I'll be paddling it anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Lou - you never fail to impress with such wonderful shots - even on a day when we didn't really feel like going outside much, other than tending our feeders and trying to rescue the chaffinch which flew into our patio door and stunned itself. We check for your blog updates every afternoon when we can. Keep on taking the pictures! P & C

    ReplyDelete