Sunday 1 November 2009

The Rain Arrived

Well just as the weather forecasters had predicted, torrential rain arrived in the early hours. It was so heavy the little stream next to our house broke its bank and the fields soon flooded. The gales didn't really appear, although we are luckily quite sheltered here. The heavy rain did mean the feeder was virtually empty all day though. There were Chaffinches on the lawn and the Sparrows and Dunnocks did pop out occasionally but in all the garden was very quiet. This little Chaffinch has been visiting since last year and has a strange growth on her foot. It doesn't seem to affect her though and she manages to walk perfectly.
The wildlife indoors has caught my attention today. I have to admit to being a complete woos when it comes to Crane Fly's. I am so scared of them getting caught in my hair and hurting them trying to get them out that I have to admit to running and screaming when I see one. One came into the house last night but luckily for me (not for him) he ended up in a Daddy Long Legs web and ended up as supper for them. I then realised that people call Crane Fly's Daddy Long Legs too. I wonder how two different species end up with the same name especially as one feeds on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment