Thursday 26 November 2009

Bunny Hopping Woodpecker

More heavy rain and wind. I'll be sounding like a scratched record soon. I haven't got much to report today as I spent the afternoon with my friend Max inside a cafe and there wasn't much wildlife going on in there, thankfully.
Before I left though I did spot Mrs Woodpecker behaving rather strangely on the post. She flew and landed on the tip of it then proceeded to 'bunny-hop backwards' , probably the easiest way to describe it, all the way the bottom, where she then circled it and then proceeded to jump back up it. Again she circled right around it and then bunny hopped backwards down again. This went on for ages. She didn't stop to feed or look in any of the splits in the woods. Maybe she could hear a nice big juicy bug inside and was just waiting for it to come out? Redfoot the Squirrel was here when I woke up. I don't know if their coats are changing ready for the winter but their markings are all changing slightly so I'm having to look twice to check who it is quite often these days. Unless its Snarly Sid who is such a big character, you can tell by the reaction of the rest of the garden when he's about to arrive!
I hope I'm right is saying this is a female Greenfinch. We had a pair here last week but for the past few days, this little female has been all on her own. I have a horrible feeling something may have happened to her mate. The Sparrow Hawk has been around a lot this past week or maybe it's the stray cat (who I found hiding behind the guitar in my lounge of all places, yesterday)?

No comments:

Post a Comment