Wednesday 25 November 2009

Hail Today

I was lucky today to have lots of free time to just sit and enjoy the garden, the complete opposite to yesterday. The weather has been horrid but the garden was still buzzing with birds. I saw Mrs Woodpecker sheltering under this branch as the Hail pelted down. Can you imagine how much that must hurt if you were the size of a Blue Tit. I remember getting caught out on a run once in a hail storm and the marks the hail left on my thighs lasted nearly a week!
I was asked a couple of weeks ago via the Autumn Watch website why there wasn't a photo of me on the site but there had never really been a reason too. But today I just couldn't resist as my 20 year old deaf cat called Bryoni came and joined me birdwatching. I thought she looked so sweet sat there next to me.
Ok back to the real wildlife. I had another first today. I saw both MR and MRS Woodpecker on the feeder at the same time. I've never seen that before. They still only use their favourite fat holders and never swap with each other.
I beat my Suet Square challenge today, sort of. There are 9 birds on there but the photo only shows 8 as one is hiding behind the back, so does that count?
Oh, don't know if I should admit this but when I filled up the feeder this morning I totally forgot about taking the fat balls out of their net bags. I then spent ages taking photo's from the bedroom and still didn't notice them. It wasn't until this afternoon when I was watching a little Chaffinch, doing what I thought was pattering his feet to get worms that I realised. The Chaffinch happened to have a broken leg and wasn't doing what seagulls usually do in the rain but that was how I remember, broken leg/net bag etc etc well it made sense to me. Anyway, it ended up with me having to go out in the pouring rain again and then holding yucky soggy fat balls. ewwwww, don't think I'll make that mistake again. Oh we have a new hole! right under the feeder. Can't wait to see what emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment