Saturday 30 May 2009

Cuckoo's, Bugs and Wild Borders

Another sunny day, isn't it wonderful. The feeder has been quiet again but the rest of the garden is bustling with life.
Cuckoo in flight
I seem to be getting slightly obsessed with Mr Cuckoo right now, but he's making so much noise at the moment and such a joy to watch. I noticed today a little Chaffinch kept landing next to him on the wire and there was definitely some interaction between them. The romantic in me would like to think this Chaffinch was its mum from last year but realistically it was probably just keeping a close eye on him so he didn't raid their nest this year.
Cuckoo
The butterflies are still flying over, Painted lady's, Cabbage Whites and even a little Orange Tip but they're not feeding in the garden yet. The wild borders are filling up nicely though so hopefully it won't be long.


Oh I heard a skylark from the garden today so that's another tick for my bird counter. Up to 52 now, I can't believe it. I noticed the Swallows for the first time to-ing and fro-ing from above the bedroom window today too. Even a pied wagtail turned up, not seen him since the winter.

ID update 03/06/09: Criomorphus sp., probably C. albomarginatus

I've still not managed to find the names for quite a few of my bugs, so I'm going to post the photo's up anyway and hope someone who sees them will be able to tell me. They are tiny, only about 2mm long.

ID update 03/06/09: Javesella (female)

No comments:

Post a Comment