Tuesday 1 June 2010

Squirrels Come to Town

Great News. We have what looks like breeding pair of Squirrels in the garden today. They were not fighting or chasing each other, which for squirrels in my garden is unheard of unless they are a couple. So that's quite exciting. I've yet to have a young or baby Squirrel in the garden. More good news, I have been spoilt today. Alan gave me two fantastic presents. The first is a Bumble Bee House. Its made out of solid wood and will sit neatly in the bank at the top of the garden. With the massive decline of Bee's of any type right now, this is just perfect. Will make me feel like I'm at least trying a little bit to help. It's not easy to get Bee's to nest in these boxes and the leaflet suggests either capturing a Wild Queen Bee and plugging her into the house of 24 hours so she starts laying. Or, finding somewhere an old Mouse Nest and use the bedding inside the box. Apparently Bee's just love the smell of the old nests. How on earth will I find one? Well I've put an appeal on my local Freecycle site and have my fingers crossed. Who knows, maybe someone somewhere will have just come across one. The other option is to just sit and wait to see what happens. The box had a slide away glass roof so you can watch inside. How amazing is that. My second pressie is a Butterfly Fly house. Again its stunning to look at with a solid wood body and a copper roof. This will be sited on the outside wall of my Summer House. We had a pair of Nuthatches on the feeder today. Don't usually see two at once. My BlueBerry Bushes are just about to start to fruit, I can't wait to taste my very own home grown Blueberries.

I've just been told the flower I have down as a type of Chickweed on the 25th of May is in fact 'Cuckoo flower' (Cardamine pratensis) or in Welsh Blodyn y Gwynt, which means flower of the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment