Friday 26 March 2010

Emotional Rollercoaster

Its been an emotional day today from the very highs of new life to the low of discovering savagery at its worse. The day started excitedily with discovery that we were now up to 8 lambs. Late last the night we had a pair of black twins born in the field above the house, which was wonderful. There's something extra special about black lambs, I reckon. I went up this afternoon to take some photo's only to discover the fox had killed and taken away one of the twins. I was gutted but then moments later I spotted another black Ewe giving birth. She had just the one lamb whilst I was watching. The farmer turned up to move yesterdays lamb to a field closer to his house but whern he spotted the new one he realised he was too small to walk all that way. So he walked them to the field next to our house and will move them across the his house tomorrow when today's baby will be stronger. Just need to hope he survives the night. The rest of the flock are very good and were surrounding the remaining twin virtually all day, although wern't paying any attention to the new born yet. As I was taking photo's I got chatting the the farmers son who's only eleven but full of interesting facts about his (the black ones) sheep. I was asking how he could tell the difference between todays baby and yesterdays and he said just look at the length of the legs and he was right. The length difference in one day is incredible. We walked down the hill together, me with my camera and him with his Rifle as he wanted to shoot some crows and also some Grey Squirrels. Its a weird relationship I have with him and his dad as we believe completely different things where wildlife are concerned but yet we get on really well. The farmer was quite upset when I told him about the fox I had in my garden each evening last year and didn't tell him but he did admit it was him that shot her, the night she disappeared from me. When I got back to the house we discovered two little bodies. The white twins that were born on Wednesday had both been killed by the fox and left laying there for the crows to finish off, it was horrid and so so sad. On a happier note there are lots of new holes in the grass from Shrews and Voles I suspect. On the feeder I spotted a Green Finch, not seen one of the in ages. Bad photo but you can just work him out. I was sat in my summer house at tea time and remembered about seeing the Crows a few days ago pecking at the roof. So I went to see if they had done any damage and boy have they. There's one big hole where the felt has been ripped off and then there where other smaller holes all over. Its going to be an awkward job to do, especially as the weather is due to turn bad again. As I was sat on the veranda of the summer house I heard a Song Thrush and a Black Bird singing their hearts out next to each other in the tree. Its was beautiful. I noticed the moon was out early today as I was watching this Buzzard in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment