Thursday 4 February 2010

Mystery night time visitor

Greater Spotted Woodpecker
I'm afraid I have some sad news. One of the male back birds was found dead under the hedge today. By the way his neck was broken I would say he was killed by a Sparrow Hawk which then got disturbed and left the body.
Meal Worms! Even though my Robins didn't appreciate them something during the night did. It's a bit like a murder mystery just without the murder, although all those dead Meal Worms could be classed as mass murder in a pot I guess. So anyway, last night after I went to bed something got on top of the table and ate all the meal worms that were left there. They didn't however, eat the ones left on the little tray on the feeder. So whoever it was could get onto the table but not up the pole to the feeder. A real puzzler! I suppose it could be something that's flown down to eat them? I haven't got a clue as we've not seen foxes around since the farmers went up with dogs and guns before Christmas. I've not heard of owls eating things like that before but we have several pairs living very close by and they were very noisy last night. I can't think what else could get up there, maybe a Badger? If he got onto the chair first? Oh I really don't know.The Daffodils are really shooting up now and it can only be a few weeks before they are ready to flower.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Someone on the Springwatch messageboard put a link to your blog, I'm so glad I took a look! What fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete