Wednesday 2 December 2009

Blue Tits set to work

The Blue Tits have been working hard for me today without realising. Quite a few of them have started to cling onto the moss on the back of the steps and feed on whatever it is they are finding behind there. As they are doing that, bit by bit they are pulling off the moss and saving me a big job when I next have to go out and clean down the steps. Great job. I noticed today that most of the smaller birds can't tell the difference between the crow flying overhead or a Sparrow Hawk. The Crows are spending more and more time in the tree's at the top of the garden which is driving birds like the Nuthatch mad. The poor Nuthatch spends more time calling and warning the others than he does eating at the moment. Even the Great Tits are very nervous and keep an eye on the sky each time they see them move. The only birds who don't seem bothered in the slightest are the Woodpeckers. There are two little Coal Tits in the garden at the moment and they really don't like each other. They prefer to fight and chase rather than eat on different hangers on the same feeder. I've still not managed to beat my Suet Square record for birds yet. It gets ever so addictive though when I start to count. Its hard to pull myself away sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I discovered your blog from the autumnwatch forums. I just wanted to say I it is fantastic and I love it! Thank you for sharing your wonderful photographs and stories :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Can you tell me where you buy your suet blocks from? I would love to attract blue tits like that.

    ReplyDelete