Saturday 28 November 2009

We Have Snow!

I couldn't believe it today when I looked out of the window and saw all the mountains covered in snow. I hadn't seen it on the weather forecast so it was a lovely surprise. It hasn't reached the garden though, I think we are about 150 feet below the snow line.
It was quite late in the afternoon and dusk was approaching when I ventured outside and as a result some of my photo's are a little dark today I'm afraid. Even in the dark though I spotted something quite unusual. Placed in a neat pile on the edge of a mole hill I found this collection of what I think are plum stones. I haven't a clue what put them there or why but it certainly is fascinating. I looked behind the summerhouse again today to see if the array of fungi was still there but there was nothing. Apart from some new thistles, nettles and bramble there was nothing, not even remnants of the fungi that was there before. I was quite disappointed with the summerhouse though. After raving so much about the bargain of the year during the summer, I think I am now finding out why it was so cheap. I went to open the door and saw the wood had split. So much so that it as impossible for me to get in. We even gave the whole thing 3 extra coats of weatherproof stain during the summer and this has still happened. Not sure what to do about it now. If I manage to open it and plane it, then in the summer there will be a huge gap but if I don't do that, I can't use it until the warmer weather arrives. Oh well, never mind. On the way down the garden I spotted some new Fungi growing in the grass. I'm not very confident on fungi I.D. so I won't attempt it just in case I get it wrong. Just as I was going back in the house I looked around and saw this really unusual mist descending down the hillside. It was a bit like a scene from the horror movie 'The Fog'. I'm glad I saw it on my way in otherwise I would be struggling for things to write about in tonight's post. Just realised I've done a whole blog without a single bird or furry thing. Now I'll have to make up for that tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment