Tuesday 20 October 2009

100,000 birds seen and another first for the garden blog


Well what a day. I don't know where to start really. Ok I'll start with our new visitors. We had 2 beautiful little Wrens in the garden today. Although I have seen them in the garden before, it was quite a few years ago now and this is the first time I've managed to get a photo for the blog. I do hope they will stay for the winter.

And now for the mega news. Today, flocks of migrant Redwings and Fieldfares arrived in Capel Curig. They descended on the tree's in the garden and in the tree's of the forest on the hill. The noise was incredible. There must have been thousands if not hundreds of thousands of birds. It was a spectacle like no other I have ever seen. Even our non birder neighbours came out to ask what the noise was. If they had all taken flight at the same time the sky would have been black I'm sure. I have never heard anything quite like it, every inch of every tree was covered in birds and that went on for as far as the eye could see up the mountain. I did try and walk up to the forest edge to take some photo's but they flew further into the forest just as I got there although the noise was still deafening. Incredible absolutely incredible. Just wish I'd managed some better photo's. Later on in the day a few of the flocks came down to feed in the field the other side of the garden fence. They are so well camoflaged I could only spot them really when they moved even though they were covering virtually every inch of the field.
And here's another not very sharp photo. I spotted this thrush with a snail in his mouth, bashing it against a his Anvil rock to smash the shell so he could get to it. The day was so dull it did make taking photo's hard today.

fThe Robin did look beautiful though. And look at the lawn! Autumn is definitely here, look at all the leaves everywhere. We really should cut the grass once more before winter arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment