Saturday 11 July 2009

SNARLY SID'S BEEN SHOT

After not being seen for nearly a week, Snarly Sid turned up today with what looks like a gun shot wound to his shoulder. Thankfully it appears to be only a small flesh wound from a .22 rifle I suspect. Unfortunately there are people who take great joy at shooting Squirrels and one of them (living only 500 yards away as the crow flies) openly boasted on his current count of 77 recently. Personally I can't understand how people can get enjoyment out of killing defenceless wild animals. Ok there's the tree and red squirrel arguement but nature continuously evolves and usually for a reason, so who are we to say what should and shouldn't live.
OK rant over , fingers crossed Snarly Sid will make a full recovery. Had a visit from one of the Dunnocks today, they very rarly come to the feeder altough I see them in the bushes quite often. Talking of not seeing things very often, its been ages since I've seen any of the woodpeckers. I'm hoping thats a good sign that there's plent of food up in the forest for them and their chicks. Maybe I'll have to wait until the winter before I get to see this years chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment