Saturday 23 May 2009

Mr Woodie has a sex change



Confession time: I realised today much to my embarrassment that Mr Woodie is in fact Mrs Woodie. I'd always thought it was the females which had the red nape but as I was reading up about their fledging chicks this morning I noticed my mistake. Oh well, I know better now.


It finally stopped raining in Capel Curig today. Mrs Blackbird (yes definitely female) has been out collecting worms and taking them back to the nest all morning.


Closer view

When I went out into the garden this afternoon I noticed all the buttercups were covered in these little insects. I had a look in my books under flies but couldn't find out what they where. Until a nice man called Malcolm from an online Bug Group got in touch and told me they were in fact moths, Micropterix calthella to be exact.



Added 17:10 Just heard the cuckoo calling so dashed out into the garden and there he was on the wire. Not a great photo but fantastic to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment